Thursday, December 3, 2009

Sunset Malibu Saves Lives

My sister’s best friend recently spoke to me after her release from treatment and wanted to share her story with the world. She feels that many people can learn from not only her story but her rehabilitation:
I'm Stacy; I have been dealing with depression for over 15 years. After the loss of my father I couldn't cope with life. Grief never set in for me. Severe, disabling depression was all I felt. I couldn't hold down a job, I quit talking to the people in my life that meant so much to me. I was considering suicide I just couldn't survive. I felt like I had nothing. The only thing that made the pain go away was alcohol, which I abused regularly. I'll never forget that Thursday afternoon my phone rang and it was my mother, we have always had such a strong bond and connection but again, I distanced her from my life. She told me that she was concerned, and that she spoke with someone at Sunset Malibu Addiction Treatment Center about my situation. At first I was furious with her. I told her nothing was wrong with me and to leave me alone. She began to cry and said Stacy, I can't lose you too. That was the last straw for me. We made an appointment at Sunset Malibu, and when we arrived it looked like a resort more than a rehab facility. They treated me like a real person, and for the first time I felt like I had hope. The Therapist they assigned to me was so helpful, she actually understood what I was going through and helped me in ways no one ever has. She saved my life, and so did my mother. My stay at Sunset Malibu was a life changing experience. I'm still going to therapy regularly set up by Sunset Malibu for my aftercare, I'm holding down a job, spending time with my family, and I’ve never been happier. Thank you for reading my story and I hope that it does get people to really understand that depression can take in many forms from suicide to alcohol and drug addiction. - Stacy

No comments:

Post a Comment